Thursday, December 20, 2012

Taming The Tongue--The Argumentative, Harsh, Intimidating and Hasty Tongue

Proverbs 17:19; Proverbs 20:3; Proverbs 17:14, 15:1, 31:26, 16:32; 1 Samuel 17:44-46; Proverbs 29:20; James 3:2; Proverbs 18:13    

Scripture self look-up: Proverbs 25:15; Philippians 3:15, 4:2; Job 32:7-8; Psalm 37:30, 49:3; 1 Samuel 17; Proverbs 3:12, 15:12

We are walking in today: Taming The Tongue--The Argumentative, Harsh, Intimidating and Hasty Tongue

Proverbs 17:19 (AMP) He who loves strife and is quarrelsome loves transgression and involves himself in guilt; he who raises high his gateway and is boastful and arrogant invites destruction.

Proverbs 20:3 (KJV) It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.
Proverbs 17:14 (NLT) Starting a quarrel is like opening a floodgate, so stop before a dispute breaks out.
Proverbs 15:1 (NLT) A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.
Proverbs 31:26 (NKJV) She opens her mouth with wisdom, And on her tongue is the law of kindness.
Proverbs 16:32 (NKJV) He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,And he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city.
1 Samuel 17:44-46  (NKJV) 44) And the Philistine said to David, “Come to me, and I will give your flesh to the birds of the air and the beasts of the field!”45) Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. 46) This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel.
Proverbs 29:20 (NKJV) Do you see a man hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
James 3:2 (NKJV) For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.
Proverbs 18:13 (NKJV) He who answers a matter before he hears it,
It is folly and shame to him.

Harsh Words Spoken
I ran into a stranger as he passed by.
"Oh excuse me please" was my reply.
He said, "Please excuse me too;
I wasn't watching for you."
We were very polite, this stranger and I.
We went on our way and we said good-bye.
But at home a different story is told,
how we treat our loved ones, young and old.

Later that day, cooking the evening meal,
my son stood beside me very still.
When I turned, I nearly knocked him down.
"Move out of the way," I said with a frown.
He walked away, his little heart broken.
I didn't realize how harshly I'd spoken.

While I lay awake in bed,
God's still small voice came to me and said,
"While dealing with a stranger, common courtesy you use,
but the children you love, you seem to abuse.
Go look on the kitchen floor,
you'll find some flowers there by the door."
"Those are the flowers he brought for you.
He picked them himself; pink, yellow and blue.
He stood very quietly not to spoil the surprise,
and you never saw the tears that filled his little eyes."
By this time, I felt very small,
and now my tears began to fall.
I quietly went and knelt by his bed;
"Wake up, little one, wake up," I said.
"Are these the flowers you picked for me?"
He smiled, "I found 'em out by the tree."
"I picked 'em because they're pretty like you.
I knew you'd like 'em, especially the blue."
I said, "Son, I'm very sorry for the way I acted today;
I shouldn't have yelled at you that way."
He said, "Oh, Mom, that's okay.
I love you anyway.
I said, "Son, I love you too,
and I do like the flowers, especially the blue."

--Author Unknown








Thank You God for this word today, that Your daughter walked in obedience and delivered this study on the tongue.  We pray that You would bless and keep Sandy Bell for her commitment to what You have charged her to do.  We pray that You would pour back into her for all that she has poured out on this line.  Thank You God for coming to get us cleaned up, that we will be able to stand and walk this out as You intended--that we speak life and lift up others!  Thank You God for such a awesome time in Your presence, hearing the scriptures and also going to search out the scriptures, that we lay our eyes on them ourselves!  Thank You for being the all knowing, wise and mighty God!  Fiveamprayer, take a selah moment and ponder if what you will speak is helpful, kind or necessary to be spoken.  Let us remember the 5 p's when we speak--prayerfully, that we seek God first; personally, that you would do it yourself; privately, to share this with someone with no one else around; promptly, don't take too long; positively, that you are sharing with them that they would succeed.  Take time  to reflect on these teachings, to put away our old ways and turn away from them!  Thank You God for meeting us here, as You do every day!  Amen!  To listen to this again, click here.
Question of the day:  What were the consequences of Jephthah's hasty vow?  Judges 11:30-40.  Contact us with your response via facebook, email fiveamprayer@gmail.com or phone: 720-432-0316


We seal this prayer in His precious blood, by His Spirit:  It cost me nothing to respect someone's opinion especially on matters that have no heavenly consequence. I will open my mouth with wisdom and keep the law or kindness on my tongue. Because God is in control of every aspect of my life, I will only be controlled by Him and no other!  I am swift to hear and slow to speak, the Lord has set a guard over my mouth and keeps watch over the door of my lips.
Selah, it is me!  Thank You God for washing us up and correcting us and having the mirror being right in front of us showing us where we need to make changes! 


To give a gift to God for this study on the tongue, plant a seed into fiveamprayer.  You can send it to PO Box 58175 Jacksonville, FL  32241.  Minister Edwards has a heart to give not only in ministry also to others in need.  Whatever you have to share whether a little or a lot, whatever God places on your heart to give.  The seed you plant here is not to take away from your tithes that go to your home church.  You can make checks payable to Fiveamprayer and it is tax deductible.

Musical Selection  
Fred Hammond, How Do You Love That Way
 J. Moss, Restored
Tonex, Make Me Over
Fred Hammond, No Weapon

No comments:

Post a Comment